Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Preston's Birthday

Today is my husband's 27th birthday. He never wants to make a big deal out of his birthdays, so we don't, but I do always try to do something special for him. He did, in fact, propose to me on my 19th birthday. 

I've been looking for a good cake recipe to make him. I'd like to make a homemade one, partially because the car's in the shop and I can't go and buy one/ get a cake mix. Homemade ones are better, anyway. We'll just see how this works with the combination of nursing a teething 4 month old (OUCH! but don't get me wrong, it's still working out very well) and chasing around/ keeping a 19 month old occupied and out of trouble.[ I actually got a thing of bubble juice the other day, and opened it yesterday- and there was no bubble wand. Lame!!! Who wants to buy a bubble wand separately ??  I guess that's the last time I ever buy generic bubble juice (at least until I have a wand already).]

My goal is to be able to make dinner and a cake, even if both have to be simple. I already have a backup plan for the cake (dump cake- 2 -3 cans of fruit filling in a 13x9 dish with dry yellow cake mix sprinkled on the top. It's so very easy, but it's good), but i'd rather do something special today. And for dinner I'm thinking spaghetti (with meat sauce), stir fry steak with vegetables and rice, or steak fajitas with peppers and onions. And I will not feel guilty for not being able to make his birthday celebration look like the cover of a magazine or a bridal shower like they post about on pinterest. I'm creative, but not THAT creative, and I don't have that much skill. (example here : http://pinterest.com/pin/155022412143734393/ )

He works from 10-3 today, and only has his early class this evening, so I'm hoping to make it at least a little special for him. We don't have any candles to make it a "birthday" cake, but I'm hoping to make such a good cake that it won't even matter. 

So far I've only been able to find cakes that take buttermilk or sour cream. I may be able to find a suitable substitute...

2 comments:

  1. To make a cup of "buttermilk" put 1 Tbs of vinegar in a cup and fill with regular milk. Stir slightly. This works great in recipes when you don't have any buttermilk. I hope you have a wonderful time.
    Chery

    ReplyDelete